Re: vacuum full

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum full
Date: 2021-08-30 18:05:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 at 23:12, Vijaykumar Jain <
vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Just keeping it in a separate email, incase this is thrashed down.
> vacuum full has a lot of problem stories, not just because the db gets
> locked, but also because it is mostly (mis)used when there are space issues.

ok ignore.
I think querying the disk for available space may be shell access from the
client, a security issue.
Also, a 10GB table with all dead tuples is 100% bloat, and would not really
need additional space for table rebuilds.
I think we can just put out some queries like bloat estimation of
relations, to get an idea of wasted space and used space
and estimate based on that on how much would be taken up from the disk
before being cleaned up.

ref queries: PostgresQL Automating VACUUM FULL for bloated tables - Stack
Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13931989/postgresql-automating-vacuum-full-for-bloated-tables>

--
Thanks,