Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 4) and patch for hash index

From: Shubham Barai <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 4) and patch for hash index
Date: 2018-01-15 15:29:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 January 2018 at 08:03, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greeting Shubham, all,
>
> * Michael Paquier (michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Shubham Barai
> > <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > I have attached the rebased version of patch here.
> >
> > The patch does not apply and there has been no reviews as well. In
> > consequence, I am moving it to next CF with "waiting on author" as
> > status. Please provide a rebased patch.
>
> Shubham, would you mind providing an updated patch which applies
> cleanly, so we can change this to Needs Review and hopefully get someone
> looking at it? Also, it would be good to respond to Alexander's as to
> if it would work or not (and perhaps updating the patch accordingly).
> Otherwise, I'm afriad this patch may end up just getting bumped to the
> next CF or ending up as 'returned with feedback'. Would be great to get
> this up to a point where it could be committed.

Hi Stephen,

The new approach was suggested after completion of GSoC. So, I didn't get
enough time to implement this approach. Also, I was constantly updating my
patches for gist and gin index based on reviews.

Here, I am attaching the rebased version of the patch (which is based on an
old approch:
acquiring a predicate lock on primary page of a bucket)

Kind Regards,
Shubham

Attachment Content-Type Size
Predicate-Locking-in-hash-index_v5.patch application/octet-stream 28.9 KB