Re: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure

From: Ted Yu <yuzhihong(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure
Date: 2023-01-10 16:38:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 8:26 AM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) <
kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear tom,
>
> > I think that it's a really bad idea to require postgres_fdw.sql
> > to have two expected-files: that will be a maintenance nightmare.
> > Please put whatever it is that needs a variant expected-file
> > into its own, hopefully very small and seldom-changed, test script.
> > Or rethink whether you really need a test case that has
> > platform-dependent output.
>
> Thank you for giving the suggestion. I agreed your saying and modifed that.
>
> I added new functions on the libpq and postgres-fdw layer that check
> whether the
> checking works well or not. In the test, at first, the platform is checked
> and
> the checking function is called only when it is supported.
>
> An alternative approach is that PQCanConncheck() can be combined with
> PQConncheck().
> This can reduce the libpq function, but we must define another returned
> value to
> the function like -2. I was not sure which approach was better.
>
> Best Regards,
> Hayato Kuroda
> FUJITSU LIMITED

Hi,

+ /* quick exit if connection cache has been not initialized yet. */

been not initialized -> not been initialized

+
(errcode(ERRCODE_CONNECTION_FAILURE),
+ errmsg("could not connect
to server \"%s\"",

Currently each server which is not connected would log a warning.
Is it better to concatenate names for such servers and log one line ? This
would be cleaner when there are multiple such servers.

Cheers