Re: Proposing COPY .. WITH PERMISSIVE

From: dinesh kumar <dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposing COPY .. WITH PERMISSIVE
Date: 2015-10-03 04:43:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <
stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:

> On 09/02/2015 10:10 PM, dinesh kumar wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> > <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc <mailto:stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/25/2015 03:38 AM, dinesh kumar wrote:
> > >

> > > On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Robert Haas <
> robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > > <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>>>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM, dinesh kumar
> > > <dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>>>
> > > <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>>>

> > > <dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:dineshkumar02(at)gmail(dot)com>>>

> > is, chmod=644

> > chmod=600 on
> > users from reading

> the
> > behavior
> > enough.

> > group/others. So,

> > > If we're going to do anything here, it should use COPY's
> > > extensible-options syntax, I think.
> > >

> > > Thanks Robert. Let me send a patch for this.
> >

> > how are you going to handle windows or unix ACLs here?
> > Its permission model is quite different and more powerful than
> (non-acl
> > based) unix in general, handling this in a flexible way might soon
> get
> > very complicated and complex for limited gain...
> >

> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > I had the same questions too. But, I believe, our initdb works in these
> > cases, after creating the data cluster. Isn't ?
>
> maybe - but having a fixed "default" is very different from baking a
> classic unix permission concept of user/group/world^others into actual
> DDL or into a COPY option. The proposed syntax might make some sense to
> a admin used to a unix style system but it is likely utterly
> incomprehensible to somebody who is used to (windows style) ACLs.
>
> I dont have a good answer on what to do else atm but I dont think we
> should embedded traditional/historical unix permission models in our
> grammer unless really really needed..

Yes, I agree with you. We shouldn't embed the unix style access model into
COPY.

COPY's default behaviour umask 644 on output files, which is giving read
access to other users.
I see, there is a good reason behind it. Also, it would be good to have a
control on the READ ACCESS of a file, where we can secure our dump files,
from the non instance ownership users.

Adding a trivial patch to control this read ACL.

--Sample Test Case

--Default behaviour
postgres=# COPY test_table TO '/tmp/readacs.txt';
COPY 1000

$ ls -l /tmp/readacs.txt
-rw-r--r-- /tmp/test1.txt

--With applied patch
postgres=# COPY test_table TO '/tmp/noreadacs.txt' NO READ ACCESS;
COPY 1000

$ ls -l /tmp/noreadacs.txt
-rw------- /tmp/noreadacs.txt

We can also use "PROGRAM 'cat > Output.csv' " to achieve this "NO READ
ACCESS", since the program is always running as a instance owner.

Let me know your inputs and thoughts.

Stefan

--

Regards,
Dinesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
01v_CopyNoReadAccess.diff text/plain 3.4 KB