Re: Use windows VMs instead of windows containers on the CI

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use windows VMs instead of windows containers on the CI
Date: 2023-02-04 12:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 3:27 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 6:57 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > And pushed! I think an improvement in CI times of this degree is pretty
> > awesome.
>
> +1
>
> A lot of CI compute time is saved. The Cirrus account[1] was
> previously hitting the 4 job limit all day long, and now it's often
> running 1 or 2 jobs when I look, and it has space capacity to start a
> new job immediately if someone posts a new patch. I'll monitor it
> over the next few days but it looks great.
>
> [1] https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql

Oh, wow! This commit drastically improved testing time on Windows. It
was Windows tests that were always behind in my github repo's CI, now
I can see it got much faster. Thanks for working on this.

Windows tests were taking around 27min
(https://cirrus-ci.com/build/6060448332644352) before the patch, but
it came down to 13min (https://cirrus-ci.com/build/6528980879147008)
after the patch - Yay! 2X improvement :).

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team