Re: Add new error_action COPY ON_ERROR "log"

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add new error_action COPY ON_ERROR "log"
Date: 2024-03-28 08:27:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 1:43 PM torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> Attached patch fixes the doc,

May I know which patch you are referring to? And, what do you mean by
"fixes the doc"?

> but I'm wondering perhaps it might be
> better to modify the codes to prohibit abbreviation of the value.

Please help me understand the meaning here.

> When seeing the query which abbreviates ON_ERROR value, I feel it's not
> obvious what happens compared to other options which tolerates
> abbreviation of the value such as FREEZE or HEADER.
>
> COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH (ON_ERROR);
>
> What do you think?

So, do you mean to prohibit ON_ERROR being specified without any value
like in COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH (ON_ERROR);? If yes, I think all the
other options do allow that [1].

Even if we were to do something like this, shall we discuss this separately?

Having said that, what do you think of the v13 patch posted upthread?

[1]
postgres=# COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH (
DEFAULT ESCAPE FORCE_QUOTE HEADER QUOTE
DELIMITER FORCE_NOT_NULL FORMAT NULL
ENCODING FORCE_NULL FREEZE ON_ERROR

postgres=# COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH ( QUOTE );
ERROR: relation "t1" does not exist
postgres=# COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH ( DEFAULT );
ERROR: relation "t1" does not exist
postgres=# COPY t1 FROM stdin WITH ( ENCODING );
ERROR: relation "t1" does not exist

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team