Re: Identify missing publications from publisher while create/alter subscription.

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-03-30 12:07:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 4:29 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 12:22 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > I have made the changes for this, attached v17 patch has the changes
> > for the same.
> >

> The patch looks good to me. I have made minor edits in the comments
> and docs. See the attached and let me know what you think? I intend to
> commit this tomorrow unless there are more comments or suggestions.

I have one minor comment:

+ "Create subscription throws warning for multiple non-existent publications");
+$node_subscriber->safe_psql('postgres', "DROP SUBSCRIPTION mysub1;");
+ "CREATE SUBSCRIPTION mysub1 CONNECTION '$publisher_connstr'
PUBLICATION mypub;"
+ "ALTER SUBSCRIPTION mysub1 ADD PUBLICATION non_existent_pub"
+ "ALTER SUBSCRIPTION mysub1 SET PUBLICATION non_existent_pub"

Why should we drop the subscription mysub1 and create it for ALTER ..
ADD and ALTER .. SET tests? Can't we just do below which saves
unnecessary subscription creation, drop, wait_for_catchup and
poll_query_until?

+ "Create subscription throws warning for multiple non-existent publications");
+ "ALTER SUBSCRIPTION mysub1 ADD PUBLICATION non_existent_pub2"
+ "ALTER SUBSCRIPTION mysub1 SET PUBLICATION non_existent_pub3"

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.