Re: Enhanced error message to include hint messages for redundant options error

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhanced error message to include hint messages for redundant options error
Date: 2021-04-30 07:06:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:23 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:09 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:51 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Okay, but I see one side effect of this, basically earlier on
> > > procedure_error and duplicate_error we were not assigning anything to
> > > output parameters, e.g. volatility_item, but now those values will be
> > > assigned with defel even if there is an error.
> >
> > Yes, but on ereport(ERROR, we don't come back right? The txn gets
> > aborted and the control is not returned to the caller instead it will
> > go to sigjmp_buf of the backend.
> >
> > > So I think we should
> > > better avoid such change. But even if you want to do then better
> > > check for any impacts on the caller.
> >
> > AFAICS, there will not be any impact on the caller, as the control
> > doesn't return to the caller on error.
>
> I see.
>
> other comments
>
> if (strcmp(defel->defname, "volatility") == 0)
> {
> if (is_procedure)
> - goto procedure_error;
> + is_procedure_error = true;
> if (*volatility_item)
> - goto duplicate_error;
> + is_duplicate_error = true;
>
> Another side effect I see is, in the above check earlier if
> is_procedure was true it was directly goto procedure_error, but now it
> will also check the if (*volatility_item) and it may set
> is_duplicate_error also true, which seems wrong to me. I think you
> can change it to
>
> if (is_procedure)
> is_procedure_error = true;
> else if (*volatility_item)
> is_duplicate_error = true;

Thanks. Done that way, see the attached v3. Let's see what others has to say.

Also attaching Vignesh's v3 patch as-is, just for completion.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Enhance-error-message.patch application/x-patch 47.4 KB
v3-0001-compute_common_attribute.patch application/x-patch 3.8 KB