Re: Generalize ereport_startup_progress infrastructure

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Generalize ereport_startup_progress infrastructure
Date: 2022-08-09 15:54:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 6:05 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 12:29 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Here's v2 patch, passing progress report interval as an input to
> > begin_progress_report_phase() so that the processes can use their own
> > intervals(hard-coded or GUC) if they wish to not use the generic GUC
> > log_progress_report_interval.
>
> I don't think we should rename the GUC to be more generic. I like it
> the way that it is.

Done.

> I also think you should extend this patch series with 1 or 2
> additional patches showing where else you think we should be using
> this infrastructure.
>
> If no such places exist, this is pointless.

I'm attaching 0002 for reporting removal of temp files and temp
relation files by postmaster.

If this looks okay, I can code 0003 for reporting processing of
snapshot, mapping and old WAL files by checkpointer.

Thoughts?

--
Bharath Rupireddy
RDS Open Source Databases: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Generalize-ereport_startup_progress-infrastructur.patch application/octet-stream 13.7 KB
v3-0002-Progress-report-removal-of-temp-files-and-temp-re.patch application/octet-stream 8.7 KB