Re: remove useless comments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove useless comments
Date: 2022-08-09 15:50:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The comments considering checking share/ directory was there for
> almost 13 years, yet nobody ever trying to add the checking, and
> there seems never any trouble for not checking it, then I think
> we should remove those comments.

I think that comment is valuable. It shows that checking the
sibling directories was considered and didn't seem worthwhile.
Perhaps it should be rephrased in a more positive way (without XXX),
but merely deleting it is a net negative because future hackers
would have to reconstruct that reasoning.

BTW, we're working in a 30+-year-old code base, so the mere fact
that a comment has been there a long time does not make it bad.