Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Date: 2024-03-25 06:55:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 10:28 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 9:48 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > Such a test looks reasonable but shall we add equal to in the second
> > part of the test (like '$last_inactive_time'::timestamptz >=
> > > '$slot_creation_time'::timestamptz;). This is just to be sure that even if the test ran fast enough to give the same time, the test shouldn't fail. I think it won't matter for correctness as well.

Agree. I added that in v19 patch. I was having that concern in my
mind. That's the reason I wasn't capturing current_time something like
below for the same worry that current_timestamp might be the same (or
nearly the same) as the slot creation time. That's why I ended up
capturing current_timestamp in a separate query than clubbing it up
with pg_create_physical_replication_slot.

SELECT current_timestamp FROM pg_create_physical_replication_slot('foo');

> Apart from this, I have made minor changes in the comments. See and
> let me know what you think of attached.

LGTM. I've merged the diff into v19 patch.

Please find the attached v19 patch.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v19-0001-Track-last_inactive_time-in-pg_replication_slots.patch application/octet-stream 14.4 KB