From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-04-02 12:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> CFbot[1] complained about one query result's order in the tap-test, so I am
> attaching a V7 patch set which fixed this. There are no changes in 0001.
>
> [1] https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6375962162495488

Thanks. Here are some comments:

1. Can we just remove pg_logical_replication_slot_advance and use
LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckSnapState instead? If worried about the
function naming, LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckSnapState can be renamed to
pg_logical_replication_slot_advance?

+ * Advance our logical replication slot forward. See
+ * LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckSnapState for details.
*/
static XLogRecPtr
pg_logical_replication_slot_advance(XLogRecPtr moveto)
{

2.
+ if (!ready_for_decoding)
+ {
+ elog(DEBUG1, "could not find consistent point for synced
slot; restart_lsn = %X/%X",
+ LSN_FORMAT_ARGS(slot->data.restart_lsn));

Can we specify the slot name in the message?

3. Also, can the "could not find consistent point for synced slot;
restart_lsn = %X/%X" be emitted at LOG level just like other messages
in update_and_persist_local_synced_slot. Although, I see "XXX should
this be changed to elog(DEBUG1) perhaps?", these messages need to be
at LOG level as they help debug issues if at all they are hit.

4. How about using found_consistent_snapshot instead of
ready_for_decoding? A general understanding is that the synced slots
are not allowed for decoding (although with this fix, we do that for
internal purposes), ready_for_decoding looks a bit misleading.

5. As far as the test case for this issue is concerned, I'm fine with
adding one using an INJECTION point because we seem to be having no
consistent way to control postgres writing current snapshot to WAL.

6. A nit: can we use "fast_forward mode" instead of "fast-forward
mode" just to be consistent?
+ * logical changes unless we are in fast-forward mode where no changes are

7.
+ /*
+ * We need to access the system tables during decoding to build the
+ * logical changes unless we are in fast-forward mode where no changes are
+ * generated.
+ */
+ if (slot->data.database != MyDatabaseId && !fast_forward)

May I know if we need this change for this fix?

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team