Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, tristan(at)neon(dot)tech, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions
Date: 2023-07-19 08:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM Masahiro Ikeda
<ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> I updated the patch since the cfbot found a bug.
> * v7-0001-Support-custom-wait-events-for-extensions.patch

Thanks for working on this feature. +1. I've wanted this capability
for a while because extensions have many different wait loops for
different reasons, a single wait event type isn't enough.

I think we don't need a separate test extension for demonstrating use
of custom wait events, you can leverage the sample extension
worker_spi because that's where extension authors look for while
writing a new extension. Also, it simplifies your patch a lot. I don't
mind adding a few things to worker_spi for the sake of demonstrating
the use and testing for custom wait events.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team