Re: Reword docs of feature "Remove temporary files after backend crash"

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reword docs of feature "Remove temporary files after backend crash"
Date: 2021-10-09 16:25:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 9:42 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> I doubt there's much confusion here - crashes are treated the same. I think
> the fix would be to say "server crash" rather than backend crash.

IIUC, the "server crash" includes any backend, auxiliary process,
postmaster crash i.e. database cluster/instance crash. The commit
cd91de0d1 especially added the temp file cleanup support if any
backend or auxiliary process (except syslogger and stats collector)
crashes. The temp file cleanup in postmaster crash does exist prior to
the commit cd91de0d1.

When we add the description about the new GUC introduced by the commit
cd91de0d1, let's be clear as to which crash triggers the new temp file
cleanup path.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.