Re: Is Recovery actually paused?

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is Recovery actually paused?
Date: 2021-02-05 00:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 7:20 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > How can we do that this is not a 1 byte flag this is enum so I don't
> > think we can read any atomic state without a spin lock here.
>
> I have fixed the other comments and the updated patch is attached.

Can we just do like below so that we could use the existing
SetRecoveryPause instead of setting the state outside?

/* loop until recoveryPauseState is set to RECOVERY_NOT_PAUSED */
while (1)
{
RecoveryPauseState state;

state = GetRecoveryPauseState();

if (state == RECOVERY_NOT_PAUSED)
break;

HandleStartupProcInterrupts();

if (CheckForStandbyTrigger())
return;
pgstat_report_wait_start(WAIT_EVENT_RECOVERY_PAUSE);

/*
* If recovery pause is requested then set it paused. While we are in
* the loop, user might resume and pause again so set this every time.
*/
if (state == RECOVERY_PAUSE_REQUESTED)
SetRecoveryPause(RECOVERY_PAUSED)

And a typo - it's "pg_is_wal_replay_paused" not
"pg_is_wal_repay_paused" +
<function>pg_is_wal_repay_paused()</function> returns whether a
request

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.