Re: parallel vacuum - few questions on docs, comments and code

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallel vacuum - few questions on docs, comments and code
Date: 2021-05-21 08:00:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I responded on that thread and it seems there is no object to the new
> message. I have a minor comment on your patch:

Thanks Amit!

> - printf(_(" -P, --parallel=PARALLEL_DEGREE use this many background
> workers for vacuum, if available\n"));
> + printf(_(" -P, --parallel=PARALLEL_WORKERS use this many background
> workers for vacuum, if available\n"));
>
> If the patch changes the vacuumdb code as above then isn't it better
> to change the vacuumdb docs to reflect the same. See below part of
> vacuumdb docs:
> -P parallel_degree
> --parallel=parallel_degree

Changed.

> Also, can you please check if your patch works for PG-13 as well
> because I think it is better to backpatch it?

I'm not sure about backpatching as it is not a critical bug fix. Since
the changes are user visible, I think that it's okay to backpatch.

Anyways, attaching patches for both master and v13 branch. Please
review it further.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-master-Parallel-Vacuum-Reword-Error-Messages-and-Docs.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB
v2-V13-Parallel-Vacuum-Reword-Error-Messages-and-Docs.patch application/octet-stream 4.0 KB