Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Date: 2021-12-09 05:58:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2021 at 04:57:49PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > Done in the attached v5 patch.
>
> Thanks for the new version. FWIW, as the information logged when
> recovering a WAL segment from the local pg_wal could be rather
> confusing at bootstrap phase, I would suggest to simplify things as of
> the attached and call it a day.

Thanks for the patch. It looks good to me. I have a suggestion: It's
better if we specify why we are not emitting any message if the WAL
segment is found in pg_wal directory, something like "we are
intentionally not emitting any messages in case if the required WAL
segment is found in the pg_wal directory to avoid noise in the server
logs".

+ case XLOG_FROM_PG_WAL:
+ case XLOG_FROM_ANY:
+ break;