Re: pg_waldump stucks with options --follow or -f and --stats or -z

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_waldump stucks with options --follow or -f and --stats or -z
Date: 2021-12-01 06:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:13:08PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > > Thanks. Here's the v5.
> >
> > By the way, one thing that I completely forgot here is that SIGINT is
> > not handled on Windows. If we want to make that work for a WIN32
> > terminal, we would need to do something similar to
> > src/fe_utils/cancel.c where we need to use SetConsoleCtrlHandler() and
> > handle the stats print when facing CTRL_C_EVENT or CTRL_BREAK_EVENT as
> > events. Perhaps we should try to think harder and have a more
> > centralized facility for the handler part between a WIN32 terminal and
> > SIGINT, as it is not the first time that we need this level of
> > handling. Or we could just discard this issue, document its WIN32
> > limitation and paint some "#ifdef WIN32" around all the handler
> > portions of the patch.
> >
> > I would be fine with just doing the latter for now, as this stuff is
> > still useful for most users, but that's worth mentioning. Any
> > opinions?
>
> I'm okay to have the same behaviour as pg_receivewal and pg_recvlogical tools.

Here's the v6 patch that has the SIGINT handling enabled for non-WIN32
platforms (note that I haven't specified anything in the
documentation) much like pg_receivewal and pg_recvlogical.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-pg_waldump-emit-stats-when-interrupted-with-SIGIN.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB