Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date: 2023-01-31 09:23:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 12:41 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> There's also the walwriter to look into; from memory it was a little
> less fuzzy but I haven't looked recently.

Thanks. I tried to do away with the walwriter hibernation for just
some time and made it wait indefinitely until an event occurs. Once
walwriter finds no work for some time, it goes to wait forever mode
and it's woken up when someone inserts WAL. Please see the attached
patch for more details. Thoughts?

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Reduce-power-consumption-by-WAL-writer.patch application/octet-stream 5.6 KB