Re: Refactor "mutually exclusive options" error reporting code in parse_subscription_options

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2021-06-30 14:08:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 9:41 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> > > I wanted to pack all the parsing related params passed to
> > > parse_subscription_options into a single structure since this is one
> > > of the main points (reducing the number of function params) on which
> > > the patch is coded.
> >
> > Yeah I was looking at the struct too and this bit didn't seem great. I
> > think it'd be better to have the struct be output only; so
> > "specified_opts" would be part of the struct (not necessarily with that
> > name), but "supported opts" (which is input data) would be passed as a
> > separate argument. That seems cleaner to *me*, at least.
> >

> Yeah, that sounds better than what we have in the patch. Also, I am
> not sure if it is a good idea to use "supported_opts" for input data
> as that sounds more like what is output from the function, how about
> required_opts or input_opts? Also, we can name the output structure as
> SpecifiedSubOpts and "specified_opts" as either "opts" or "out_opts".

IMO, SubOpts looks okay. Also, I retained the specified_opts but moved
supported_opts out of the structure.

> I think naming these things is a bit matter of personal preference so
> I am fine if both you and Bharath find current naming more meaningful.

Please let me know if any of the names look odd.

> +#define IsSet(val, bits) ((val & (bits)) == (bits))
> Also, do you have any opinion on this define? I see at other places we
> use in-place checks but as in this patch there are multiple instances
> of such check so probably such a define should be acceptable.

Yeah. I'm retaining this macro as it makes code readable.

PFA v9 patch set for further review.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Refactor-parse_subscription_options.patch application/octet-stream 26.9 KB
v9-0002-Remove-similar-ereport-calls-in-parse_subscriptio.patch application/octet-stream 4.7 KB