Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, satyanarlapuram(at)gmail(dot)com, marvin_liang(at)qq(dot)com, actyzhang(at)outlook(dot)com, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats
Date: 2021-11-18 13:13:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Bharath Rupireddy <
bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Looking at the proposed API from the initial email, I like that there's
> > both stats functionality and WAL record inspection functionality
> > (similar to pg_waldump). I like that there's the ability to pull the
> > records as raw bytea data, however I think we're also going to want an
> > ability in v1 of the patch to decode it (similar to pageinspect
> > heap_page_item_attrs, etc).
>
> I'm yet to start working on the patch. I will be doing it soon.

Thanks all. Here's the v1 patch set for the new extension pg_walinspect.
Note that I didn't include the documentation part now, I will be doing it a
bit later.

Please feel free to review and provide your thoughts.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-pg_walinspect.patch application/x-patch 29.0 KB
v1-0002-pg_walinspect-tests.patch application/x-patch 3.2 KB