Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, satyanarlapuram(at)gmail(dot)com, marvin_liang(at)qq(dot)com, actyzhang(at)outlook(dot)com, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats
Date: 2021-11-25 10:19:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 6:43 PM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Looking at the proposed API from the initial email, I like that there's
> > > both stats functionality and WAL record inspection functionality
> > > (similar to pg_waldump). I like that there's the ability to pull the
> > > records as raw bytea data, however I think we're also going to want an
> > > ability in v1 of the patch to decode it (similar to pageinspect
> > > heap_page_item_attrs, etc).
> >
> > I'm yet to start working on the patch. I will be doing it soon.
>
> Thanks all. Here's the v1 patch set for the new extension pg_walinspect. Note that I didn't include the documentation part now, I will be doing it a bit later.
>
> Please feel free to review and provide your thoughts.

The v1 patch set was failing to compile on Windows. Here's the v2
patch set fixing that.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-pg_walinspect.patch application/octet-stream 31.5 KB
v2-0002-pg_walinspect-tests.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB