Re: Patch proposal: New hooks in the connection path

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: New hooks in the connection path
Date: 2022-07-05 07:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 6:29 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:

> On 7/2/22 2:49 AM, Roberto Mello wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 5:00 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> That being said, I don't see why this information couldn't be provided in a
>> system view. IMO it is generically useful.
>
> +1 for a system view with appropriate permissions, in addition to the hooks.
>
> That would make the information easily accessible to a number or monitoring systems besides the admin.
>
> Agree about that.

Are we going to have it as a part of shared memory stats? Or a
separate shared memory for connection stats exposing these via a
function and a view can be built on this function like
pg_get_replication_slots and pg_replication_slots?

> I'll start another thread and propose a dedicated patch for the "internal counters" and how to expose them.

IMHO, let's have the discussion here in this thread and the patch can be 0002.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.