Re: Accommodate startup process in a separate ProcState array slot instead of in MaxBackends slots.

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Accommodate startup process in a separate ProcState array slot instead of in MaxBackends slots.
Date: 2022-02-12 11:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 7:56 PM Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> В Сб, 16/10/2021 в 16:37 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy пишет:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Fujii Masao
> > <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> > > On second thought, I wonder if this error could not happen in practice. No?
> > > Because autovacuum doesn't work during recovery and the startup process
> > > can safely use the ProcState entry for autovacuum worker process.
> > > Also since the minimal allowed value of autovacuum_max_workers is one,
> > > the ProcState array guarantees to have at least one entry for autovacuum worker.
> > >
> > > If this understanding is right, we don't need to enlarge the array and
> > > can just update the comment. I don't strongly oppose to enlarge
> > > the array in the master, but I'm not sure it's worth doing that
> > > in back branches if the issue can cause no actual error.
> >
> > Yes, the issue can't happen. The comment in the SInvalShmemSize,
> > mentioning about the startup process always having an extra slot
> > because the autovacuum worker is not active during recovery, looks
> > okay. But, is it safe to assume that always? Do we have a way to
> > specify that in the form an Assert(when_i_am_startup_proc &&
> > autovacuum_not_running) (this looks a bit dirty though)? Instead, we
> > can just enlarge the array in the master and be confident about the
> > fact that the startup process always has one dedicated slot.
>
> But this slot wont be used for most of cluster life. It will be just
> waste.

Correct. In the standby autovacuum launcher and worker are not started
so, the startup process will always have a slot free for it to use.

> And `Assert(there_is_startup_proc && autovacuum_not_running)` has
> value on its own, hasn't it? So why doesn't add it with comment.

Assertion doesn't make sense to me now. Because the postmaster ensures
that the autovacuum launcher/workers will not get started in standby
mode and we can't reliably know in InitRecoveryTransactionEnvironment
(startup process) whether or not autovacuum launcher process has been
started.

FWIW, here's a patch just adding a comment on how the startup process
can get a free procState array slot even when SInvalShmemSize hasn't
accounted for it.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-comment-about-startup-process-getting-procSta.patch application/octet-stream 1.1 KB