Re: pg_receivewal starting position

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal starting position
Date: 2021-08-31 12:21:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 4:47 PM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 3:26 PM Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io> wrote:
> > Thank you for this review ! Please see the other side of the thread where I
> > answered Michael Paquier with a new patchset, which includes some of your
> > proposed modifications.
>
> Thanks for the updated patches. Here are some comments on v3-0001
> patch. I will continue to review 0002 and 0003.

Continuing my review on the v3 patch set:

0002:
1) I think the following message
"could not fetch replication slot LSN: got %d rows and %d fields,
expected %d rows and %d or more fields"
should be:
"could not read replication slot: got %d rows and %d fields, expected
%d rows and %d or more fields"

2) Why GetSlotInformation is returning InvalidXLogRecPtr? Change it to
return false instead.

3) Alignment issue:
Change below 2 lines:
+ appendPQExpBuffer(query, "READ_REPLICATION_SLOT %s",
+ slot_name);
To 1 line, as it will be under 80 char limit:
+ appendPQExpBuffer(query, "READ_REPLICATION_SLOT %s", slot_name);

4) Shouldn't your GetSlotInformation return what ever the
READ_REPLICATION_SLOT gets as output columns to be more generic?
Callers would pass non-null/null pointers to the inputs required/not
required for them. Please refer to RunIdentifySystem how it does that.
GetSlotInformation can just read the tuples that are interested for the callers.
bool
GetSlotInformation(PGconn *conn, const char *slot_name, char **slot_type,
XLogRecPtr *restart_lsn, uint32 *restart_lsn_tli,
XLogRecPtr *confirmed_lsn, XLogRecPtr *confirmed_lsn_tli)
{
if (slot_type)
{
/* get the slot_type value from the received tuple */
}
if (restart_lsn)
{
/* get the restart_lsn value from the received tuple */
}
if (restart_lsn_tli)
{
/* get the restart_lsn_tli value from the received tuple */
}

if (confirmed_lsn)
{
/* get the confirmed_lsn value from the received tuple */
}

if (confirmed_lsn_tli)
{
/* get the confirmed_lsn_tli value from the received tuple */
}
}

5) How about below as GetSlotInformation function comment?
/*
* Run READ_REPLICATION_SLOT through a given connection and give back to caller
* following information of the slot if requested:
* - type
* - restart lsn
* - restart lsn timeline
* - confirmed lsn
* - confirmed lsn timeline
*/

6) Do you need +#include "pqexpbuffer.h" in pg_receivewal.c?

7) Missing "," after information and it is not required to use "the"
in the messages.
Change below
+ pg_log_warning("could not fetch the replication_slot \"%s\" information "
+ "resuming from the current server position instead", replication_slot);
to:
+ pg_log_warning("could not fetch replication_slot \"%s\" information, "
+ "resuming from current server position instead", replication_slot);

8) A typo "suport". Ignore this comment, if you incorporate review comment #10.
Change below
pg_log_warning("server does not suport fetching the slot's position, "
"resuming from the current server position instead");
to:
pg_log_warning("server does not support getting start LSN from
replication slot, "
"resuming from current server position instead");

9) I think you should do free the memory allocated to slot_type by
GetSlotInformation:
+ if (strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)
+ {
+ pg_log_error("slot \"%s\" is not a physical replication slot",
+ replication_slot);
+ exit(1);
+ }
+
+ pg_free(slot_type);

10) Isn't it PQclear(res);?
+ PQclear(0);

11) I don't think you need to check for the null value of
replication_slot. In the StreamLog it can't be null, so you can safely
remove the below if condition.
+ if (replication_slot)
+ {

12) How about
/* Try to get start position from server's replication slot information */
insted of
+ /* Try to get it from the slot if any, and the server supports it */

13) When you say that the server supports the new
READ_REPLICATION_SLOT command only if version >= 15000, then isn't it
the function GetSlotInformation doing the following:
bool
GetSlotInformation(PGconn *conn,....,bool *is_supported)
{

if (PQserverVersion(conn) < 15000)
{
*is_supported = false;
return false;
}
*is_supported = true;
}
So, the callers will just do:
/* Try to get start position from server's replication slot information */
char *slot_type = NULL;
bool is_supported;

if (!GetSlotInformation(conn, replication_slot, &stream.startpos,
&stream.timeline, &slot_type, &is_supported))
{
if (!is_supported)
pg_log_warning("server does not support getting start LSN from
replication slot, "
"resuming from current server position instead");
else
pg_log_warning("could not fetch replication_slot \"%s\" information, "
"resuming from current server position instead",
replication_slot);
}

if (slot_type && strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)
{
pg_log_error("slot \"%s\" is not a physical replication slot",
replication_slot);
exit(1);
}

pg_free(slot_type);
}

14) Instead of just
+ if (strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)
do
+ if (slot_type && strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)

0003:
1) The message should start with lower case: "slot \"%s\" is not a
physical replication slot".
+ pg_log_error("Slot \"%s\" is not a physical replication slot",

2)
+ if (strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)
do
+ if (slot_type && strcmp(slot_type, "physical") != 0)

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.