Re: Simple join doesn't use index

From: Alex Vinnik <alvinnik(dot)g(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple join doesn't use index
Date: 2013-01-29 14:24:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Alex Vinnik <alvinnik(dot)g(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> It sure turned out that default settings are not a good fit.
>>

> do you know pgtune?
> it's a good tool for starters, if you want a fast postgres and don't
> really want to learn what's behind the scenes.

Yeah.. I came across pgtune but noticed that latest version dated
2009-10-29 http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000416 which is kind of
outdated. Tar file has settings for pg 8.3. Is still relevant?

> random_page_cost=1 might be not what you really want.
> it would mean that random reads are as fast as as sequential reads, which
> probably is true only for SSD

What randon_page_cost would be more appropriate for EC2 EBS Provisioned
volume that can handle 2,000 IOPS?