Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale
Date: 2016-01-13 03:17:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
wrote:

> I'm moving a > 500GB DB to another server which is initdb'ed with a
> different locale (nb_NO.UTF-8 to get correct collation when ORDER BY).
> Is there another option than pg_dump/restore for doing this?

I recently used slony to move data stored in an SQL_ASCII db to one that
was strict UTF-8. I wrote up a program that would fix any invalid byte
sequences in the original db first. It went very well, and we had very
minimal downtime.

It seems to me you could use slony to accomplish your goal as well of just
copying the data into a new DB with the different collation setting. Once
done, just stop your application for a minute or two to switch the DB it
uses, and drop the slony replication. This process will work if you can
assure that the dump/restore would have worked too. That is, there are no
invalid data.