Re: SSD Drives

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD Drives
Date: 2014-04-08 13:53:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> an important thing in getting decent wear leveling life with SSDs is to keep
> them under about 70% full.

You have to do that at provisioning time in the drive. Ie, once you
layer a file system on it, the drive doesn't know what's "empty" and
what's not; you have to tell it before hand that only show X% to the
system, and keep the rest for wear leveling. I don't know the tools
for doing it, as my vendor takes care of that for me.