Re: Control your disk usage in PG: Introduction to Disk Quota Extension

From: Haozhou Wang <hawang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: Control your disk usage in PG: Introduction to Disk Quota Extension
Date: 2018-11-22 11:25:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you very much for your review.
We refactored our patch with new names and comments.

For ReadBufferExtended hook, yes, Readbuffer with P_NEW will then call
smgrextend.

But in smgrextend, we cannot get the oid of a relation, and it will take
some time to get the oid via smgrrelation.
We would like to add a hook just before the smgrextend to get the oid and
avoid use RelidByRelfilenode().

New patch is attached in the attachment.
Thank a lot!

Regards,
Haozhou

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:20 AM Haozhou Wang <hawang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
> > We prepared a patch that includes the hook points. And such hook points
> are needed for disk quota extension.
> > There are two hooks.
> > One is SmgrStat_hook. It's used to perform ad-hoc logic in storage when
> doing smgr create/extend/truncate in general. As for disk quota extension,
> this hook is used to detect active tables(new created tables, tables
> extending new blocks, or tables being truncated)
> > The other is BufferExtendCheckPerms_hook. It's used to perform ad-hoc
> logic when buffer extend a new block. Since ReadBufferExtended is a hot
> function, we call this hook only when blockNum == P_NEW. As for disk quota
> extension, this hook is used to do query enforcement during the query is
> >
> > Any comments are appreciated.
>
> +1 for adding some hooks to support this kind of thing, but I think
> the names you've chosen are not very good. The hook name should
> describe the place from which it is called, not the purpose for which
> one imagines that it will be used, because somebody else might imagine
> another use. Both BufferExtendCheckPerms_hook_type and
> SmgrStat_hook_type are imagining that they know what the hook does -
> CheckPerms in the first case and Stat in the second case.
>
> For this particular purpose, I don't immediately see why you need a
> hook in both places. If ReadBuffer is called with P_NEW, aren't we
> guaranteed to end up in smgrextend()?
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
disk_quota_hooks_v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.4 KB