Re: Autovacuum on sys tables

From: Thomas Boussekey <thomas(dot)boussekey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Inzamam Shafiq <inzamam(dot)shafiq(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on sys tables
Date: 2022-12-19 08:31:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Le lun. 19 déc. 2022 à 07:12, Inzamam Shafiq <inzamam(dot)shafiq(at)hotmail(dot)com> a
écrit :

> Thanks Thomas for the response,
>
> It means if I run VACUUM ANALYZE on pg_attribute or pg_class table, it is
> completely safe? Can you please also please confirm what is meant by
> "mid-level" vacuum?

To clarify my last message, VACUUM ANALYZE is a trade-off between
autovacuum, that can be considered as a lazy non-blocking operation, and
VACUUM FULL (eager & blocking one).
The `mid-level` in my previous mail was used to pinpoint an intermediate
blacking & resource consumption situation.

VACUUM ANALYZE will:
- remove dead tuples definition
- refresh statistics (can improve execution plans for queries)

Have a look at this website, it explains that better than me ;) :
https://www.interdb.jp/pg/pgsql06.html