Re: Speeding up GIST index creation for tsvectors

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speeding up GIST index creation for tsvectors
Date: 2020-12-10 15:13:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Amit!
It's really cool to hear about another GiST improvement proposal. I'd like
to connect recently committed GiST ordered build discussion here [1] and
further improvement proposed [2]

I've tested feature [1] and got 2.5-3 times speed improvement which is much
better I believe. There is an ongoing activity [2] to build support for
different data types for GiST. Maybe you will consider it interesting to
join.

BTW you may have heard about Gin and Rum [3] indexes which suit text search
much, much better (and faster) than GiST. The idea to process data in
bigger chunks is good. Still optimize index structure, minimizing disc
pages access, etc. seems better in many cases.

Thank you for your proposal!

[3] https://github.com/postgrespro/rum

--
Best regards,