Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()
Date: 2023-01-06 12:45:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Alexander!

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 at 15:11, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 5:05 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 3:43 PM Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > One more update of a patchset to avoid compiler warnings.
> >
> > Thank you for your help. I'm going to provide the revised version of
> > patch with comments and commit message in the next couple of days.
>
> The revised patch is attached. It contains describing commit message,
> comments and some minor code improvements.

I've looked through the patch once again. It seems in a nice state to
be committed.
I also noticed that in tableam level and NodeModifyTable function
calls we have a one-to-one correspondence between *lockedSlot и bool
lockUpdated, but no checks on this in case something changes in the
code in the future. I'd propose combining these variables to remain
free from these checks. See v5 of a patch. Tests are successfully
passed.
Besides, the new version has only some minor changes in the comments
and the commit message.

Kind regards,
Pavel Borisov,
Supabase.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Allow-locking-updated-tuples-in-tuple_update-and-.patch application/octet-stream 35.4 KB