Re: Bogus documentation for bogus geometric operators

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus documentation for bogus geometric operators
Date: 2020-11-13 08:26:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. The patch removes <^ and >^ from func.sgml, which is fine, but

shouldn't there be an addition for the new operators? (I think

I fully agree and added "point" as a possible input type for <<| and |>> in
manual. PFA v5

> undocumented. Maybe instead of removing, change the text to be
> "Deprecated, use the equivalent XXX operator instead." Or we could
> add a footnote similar to what was there for a previous renaming:

The problem that this new <<| is equivalent to <^ only for points (To
recap: the source of a problem is the same name of <^ operator for points
and boxes with different meaning for these types).

point
box
<<| |>> strictly above/below (new)
strictly above/below
<^ >^ strictly above/below (deprecated, but available)
above/below

So it seems to me that trying to mention the subtle difference of
deprecated operator to same-named one for different data type inevitably
make things much worse for reader. On this reason I'd vote for complete
nuking <^ for point type (but this is not the only way so I haven't done
this in v5).

What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Pavel Borisov

Postgres Professional: http://postgrespro.com <http://www.postgrespro.com>

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Deprecate-and-replace-and-operators-for-points.patch application/octet-stream 26.6 KB