Data loss when '"json_populate_recorset" with long column name

From: Денис Романенко <deromanenko(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data loss when '"json_populate_recorset" with long column name
Date: 2021-09-07 03:27:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If we create a column name longer than 64 bytes, it will be truncated in
PostgreSQL to max (NAMEDATALEN) length.

For example: "
VeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongName"
will be truncated in database to "
VeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVer"

But in the codebase we could work with full column name - SQL functions
like INSERT/UPDATE work with long names without problem, automatically
searches for suitable column (thank you for it).

But if we try to update it with "json_populate_recordset" using full name,
it will not just ignore column with long name - data in that record will be
nulled.

How to reproduce:
1. create table wow("
VeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongName"
text);
2. select * from
json_populate_recordset(null::wow,'[{"VeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongName":
"haha"}]');
3. "VeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVeryLongNameVer"
becomes null.

P.S. Why do I need columns with more than 64 bytes length - because I use
non-Latin characters in column and table names, so In fact I have only 32
chars because of Unicode. (PostgreSQL: NAMEDATALEN increase because of
non-latin languages
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALSd-crdmj9PGdvdioU%3Da5W7P%3DTgNmEB2QP9wiF6DTUbBuMXrQ%40mail.gmail.com>
)