Re: How to stop script executions

From: Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to stop script executions
Date: 2016-07-26 18:45:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM, John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I agree. From my reading at:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-copy.html the COPY FROM
> PROGRAM is only available to a PostgreSQL user who is database superuser.
> That, sort of, implies to me that said user is trusted not to do "evil",
> but abide by the restrictions place upon him/her/it. In some strange
> reality where this is not the case, and I was running on Linux, I would use
> SeLinux in enforcing mode to really restrict what the id under which the
> server is running could do. That is, a "don't allow unless explicitly
> allowed" type policy. Or I'd "sandbox" the PostgreSQL server code using
> something like docker, or under in a virtual machine with little access to
> other services.

PostgreSQL version is 9.3 and O/s is both linux and windows.

I was trying to understand from both O/S perspectives that what kind of
commands can be run using COPY FROM PROGRAM which can have an impact.
Thanks for all the information!

Regards...