Re: Connections dropping while using Postgres backend DB with Ejabberd

From: Justin <zzzzz(dot)graf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dipanjan Ganguly <dipagnjan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connections dropping while using Postgres backend DB with Ejabberd
Date: 2020-02-25 17:01:24
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi Dipanjan

Please do not post to all the postgresql mailing list lets keep this on one
list at a time, Keep this on general list

Am i reading this correctly 10,000 to 50,000 open connections.
Postgresql really is not meant to serve that many open connections.
Due to design of Postgresql each client connection can use up to the
work_mem of 256MB plus additional for parallel processes. Memory will be
exhausted long before 50,0000 connections is reached

I'm not surprised Postgresql and the server is showing issues long before
10K connections is reached. The OS is probably throwing everything to the
swap file and see connections dropped or time out.

Should be using a connection pooler to service this kind of load so the
Postgresql does not exhaust resources just from the open connections.
https://www.pgbouncer.org/