Re: Yet another vectorized engine

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Hubert Zhang <hzhang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Gang Xiong <gxiong(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Ning Yu <nyu(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Yet another vectorized engine
Date: 2020-02-25 16:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have ported vectorize_engine  for zedstore (vertical table AM).
Results of TPCH-10G/Q1 are the following:

par.workers
PG9_6
vectorize=off
PG9_6
vectorize=on
master
vectorize=off
jit=on
master
vectorize=off
jit=off master
vectorize=on
jit=on master
vectorize=on
jit=off zedstore vectorize=off
jit=on
zedstore vectorize=off
jit=off zedstore vectorize=on
jit=on zedstore vectorize=on
jit=off
0
36
20
16
25.5
15
17.5
18
26
17
19
4
10
-
5 7
-
- 5
7
-
-

As you can see from this table time of query execution without
vectorization is almost the same for zedstore as for standard heap.
If means that expression execution overhead is dominated in this case
despite to the underlying storage.
Enabling vectorize engine increases speed of zedstore as well as of
standard heap.
But still standard heap is faster.

May be my implementation of extracting data from zedstore is not optimal
- I just calling in the loop  zsbt_tid_scan_next + zsbt_attr_fetch.
I attached my implementation of zedstoream_getnexttile (I have added
scan_getnexttile to tableAM interface).

Also I noticed that currently zedstore doesn't correctly calculate set
of used attributes and so is extract useless data.
For example query like "select sum(x) from foo" cause fetching of all
attributes from foo although we need just "x".

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
zedstoream_handler.c text/x-csrc 95.7 KB