Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Date: 2022-03-07 10:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 1:45 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 6:17 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > OK. Option 2 needs two publications for that scenario. IMO it's more
> > > intuitive this way, but maybe you wanted to avoid the extra
> > > publications?
> >
> > Yes, I wanted to avoid the extra publication creation that you pointed
> > out. Option 1 can handle this scenario without creating the extra
> > publications:
> > node0: CREATE PUBLICATION p1 FOR TABLE t1;
> > node1: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1 with (only_local = on);
> > node2: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1 with (only_local = off);
> >
> > I'm ok with both the approaches, now that this scenario can be handled
> > by using both the options. i.e providing only_local option as an
> > option while creating publication or providing only_local option as an
> > option while creating subscription as Peter has pointed out at [1].
> > option 1:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION p1 FOR TABLE t1;
> > CREATE SUBSCRITION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1 WITH (only_local = true);
> >
> > option 2:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION p1 FOR TABLE t1 WITH (publish = 'only_local');
> > CREATE SUBSCRITION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1;
> >
> > Shall we get a few opinions on this and take it in that direction?
> >
> > [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHut%2BPsAWaETh9VMymbBfMrqiE1KuqMq%2BwpBg0s7eMzwLATr%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vignesh
>
> BTW here is a counter-example to your scenario from earlier.
>
> Let's say I have a publication p1 and p2 and want to subscribe to p1
> with only_local=true, and p2 with only_local = false;
>
> Using the current OPtion 1 syntax you cannot do this with a single
> subscription because the option is tied to the subscription.
> But using syntax Option 2 you may be able to do it.
>
> Option 1:
> CREATE PUBLICATION p1 FOR TABLE t1;
> CREATE PUBLICATION p2 FOR TABLE t2;
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1 WITH (local_only = true);
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION s2 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1 WITH (local_only = false);
>
> Option 2:
> CREATE PUBLICATION p1 FOR TABLE t1 WITH (publish = 'local_only');
> CREATE PUBLICATION p2 FOR TABLE t2;
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION s1 ... FOR PUBLICATION p1, p2;

I felt having multiple publications will create duplicate entries in
the system table, Amit also has pointed this at [1]. Also enhancing
this approach to support filtering based on replication origin which
is suggested by dilip at [2] is also on the client side and also the
initial check to handle the copy_data specified by Amit at [3] will be
done by the client side. Based on the above I feel the existing
approach is better. I might be missing something here.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1LgCVv8u-fOsMPbGC96sWXhT3EKOBAeFW3g84otjStztw%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFiTN-tKbjHDjAFNnqRoR8u1B%2Bfs0wunGz%3D3wp0iU-sUaxZJTQ%40mail.gmail.com
[3] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2Bco2cd8a6okgUD_pcFEHcc7mVc0k_RE2%3D6ahyv3WPRMg%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,