Re: Rework of collation code, extensibility

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rework of collation code, extensibility
Date: 2023-01-11 16:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 11:11, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2022-12-17 at 19:14 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > Attached is a new patch series. I think there are enough changes that
> > this has become more of a "rework" of the collation code rather than
> > just a refactoring. This is a continuation of some prior work[1][2]
> > in
> > a new thread given its new scope.
>
> Here's version 5. There are a number of fixes, and better tests, and
> it's passing in CI.
>
> The libc hook support is still experimental, but what's working is
> passing in CI, even on windows. The challenges with libc hook support
> are:
>
> * It obviously doesn't replace all of libc, so the separation is not
> as clean and there are a number of callers throughout the code that
> don't necessarily care about specific collations.
>
> * libc relies on setlocale() / uselocale(), which is global state and
> not as easy to track.
>
> * More platform issues (obviously) and harder to test.

The patch does not apply on top of HEAD as in [1], please post a rebased patch:
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID
c971a5b27ac946e7c94f7f655d321279512c7ee7 ===
=== applying patch ./v5-0003-Refactor-pg_locale_t-routines.patch
Hunk #1 FAILED at 88.
src/backend/utils/adt/formatting.c.rej
patching file src/backend/utils/adt/like.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 24.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 97 (offset 1 line).
src/backend/utils/adt/like.c.rej

[1] - http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_41_4058.log

Regards,
Vignesh