Re: Psql patch to show access methods info

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Psql patch to show access methods info
Date: 2019-09-17 10:39:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Alexander Korotkov <
a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:39 AM Alexander Korotkov
> <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:36 AM Alvaro Herrera
> > <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

It

> > > Are you saying that we should mark this entire CF entry as Returned
with
> > > Feedback? Or do you see a subset of your latest 0001 as a commitable
> > > patch?
> >
> > Still hope to commit 0001. Please, don't mark RFC for now.
>
> Sorry, I meant don't mark it RWF for now :)

Few Comments:
+
+\dA+
+ List of access methods
+ Name | Type | Handler | Description

+--------+-------+----------------------+----------------------------------------
+ brin | Index | brinhandler | block range index (BRIN) access
method

We can add test for \dA+ brin btree

When we specify multiple arguments along with \dA+, like in case of:
\dA+ brin btree
We should display a message like \d+: extra argument "btree" ignored.

postgres=# \dA+ brin btree
List of access methods
Name | Type | Handler | Description
------+-------+-------------+----------------------------------------
brin | Index | brinhandler | block range index (BRIN) access method
(1 row)

Like in case of \d+ we get the message:
postgres=# \d+ t1 t2
Table "public.t1"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Stats target
| Description
c1 | integer | | | | plain |

Access method: heap

\d+: extra argument "t2" ignored