Re: Replication slot stats misgivings

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Date: 2021-04-05 15:21:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 11:07 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:29 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for your comments, Attached patch has the fix for the same.
> > > Also attached a couple of more patches which addresses the comments
> > > which Andres had listed i.e changing char to NameData type and also to
> > > display the unspilled/unstreamed transaction information in the
> > > replication statistics.
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thank you for the patches!
> >
> > I've looked at those patches and here are some comments on 0001, 0002,
> > and 0003 patch:
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> > 0001 patch:
> >
> > - values[0] = PointerGetDatum(cstring_to_text(s->slotname));
> > + values[0] = PointerGetDatum(cstring_to_text(s->slotname.data));
> >
> > We can use NameGetDatum() instead.
>
> I felt we will not be able to use NameGetDatum because this function
> will not have access to the value throughout the loop and NameGetDatum
> must ensure the pointed-to value has adequate lifetime.
>
> > ---
> > 0002 patch:
> >
> > The patch uses logical replication to test replication slots
> > statistics but I think it's necessarily necessary. It would be more
> > simple to use logical decoding. Maybe we can add TAP tests to
> > contrib/test_decoding.
> >

> I will try to change it to test_decoding if feasible and post in the
> next version.

I have modified the patch to include tap tests in contrib/test_decoding.
Attached v3 patch has the changes for the same.
Thoughts?

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Added-total-txns-and-total-txn-bytes-to-replicati.patch application/x-patch 16.9 KB
v3-0002-Added-tests-for-verification-of-logical-replicati.patch application/x-patch 5.8 KB
v3-0003-Handle-overwriting-of-replication-slot-statistic-.patch application/x-patch 4.1 KB