Re: Replication slot stats misgivings

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Date: 2021-05-12 04:42:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:59 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I agree with your analysis to remove that test. Attached patch has the
> > changes for the same.
>
> Is there any value in converting the test case into a TAP test that
> could be more flexible about the expected output? I'm mainly wondering
> whether there are any code paths that this test forces the server through,
> which would otherwise lack coverage.

Removing this test does not reduce code coverage. This test is
basically to decode and check the stats again, it is kind of a
repetitive test. The problem with this test here is that when a
transaction is spilled, the statistics for the spill transaction will
be sent to the statistics collector as and when the transaction is
spilled. This test sends spill stats around 12 times. The test expects
to reset the stats and check the stats gets updated when we get the
changes. We cannot validate reset slot stats results here, as it could
be possible that in some machines the stats collector receives the
spilled transaction stats after getting reset slots. This same problem
will exist with tap tests too. So I feel it is better to remove this
test.

Regards,
Vignesh