Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster
Date: 2024-01-25 09:39:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 15:16, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Vignesh,
>
> Thanks for updating the patch! Basically your patch looks good.
> Below lines are my comments for v3.
>
> 01.
>
> ```
> <para>
> The output plugins referenced by the slots on the old cluster must be
> installed in the new PostgreSQL executable directory.
> </para>
> ```
>
> PostgreSQL must be marked as <productname>.

Modified

> 02.
>
> ```
> <programlisting>
> pg_ctl -D /opt/PostgreSQL/data1 stop -l logfile
> </programlisting>
> ```
>
> I checked that found that -l was no-op when `pg_ctl stop` was specified. Can we remove?
> The documentation is not listed -l for the stop command.
> All the similar lines should be fixed as well.

Modified

> 03.
>
> ```
> On <literal>node3</literal>, create any tables that were created in
> the upgraded <literal>node2</literal> between
> <xref linkend="cascaded-cluster-disable-sub-node2-node3"/> and now,
> ```
>
> If tables are newly defined on node1 between 1 - 11, they are not defined on node3.
> So they must be defined on node3 as well.

The new node1 tables will be created in node2 in step-11. Since we
have mentioned that, create the tables that were created between step
6 and now, all of node1 and node2 tables will get created

> 04.
>
> ```
> <step>
> <para id="cascaded-cluster-disable-sub-node2-node3">
> ```
>
> Even if the referred steps is correct, ID should be allocated to step, not para.
> That's why the rendering is bit a strange.

Modified

The attached v4 version patch has the changes for the same.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Documentation-for-upgrading-logical-replication-c.patch text/x-patch 34.4 KB