Re: Fix inappropriate comments in function ReplicationSlotAcquire

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Wei Wang (Fujitsu)" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix inappropriate comments in function ReplicationSlotAcquire
Date: 2024-01-25 09:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 2:57 PM Wei Wang (Fujitsu)
<wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> In the function ReplicationSlotAcquire(), I found there is a missing in the
> below comments:
>
> ```
> /*
> * Search for the slot with the specified name if the slot to acquire is
> * not given. If the slot is not found, we either return -1 or error out.
> */
> s = SearchNamedReplicationSlot(name, false);
> if (s == NULL || !s->in_use)
> {
> LWLockRelease(ReplicationSlotControlLock);
>
> ereport(ERROR,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_UNDEFINED_OBJECT),
> errmsg("replication slot \"%s\" does not exist",
> name)));
> }
> ```
>
> It seems that when the slot is not found, we will only error out and will not
> return -1.

You seem to be correct. However, isn't the first part of the comment
also slightly confusing? In particular, "... if the slot to acquire is
not given." In this function, I don't see the case where a slot to
acquire is given.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.