Re: Printing backtrace of postgres processes

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Printing backtrace of postgres processes
Date: 2021-08-26 14:56:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:52 PM Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > +1 for the idea of having a new role for this. Currently I have
> > > implemented this feature to be supported only for the superuser. If we
> > > are ok with having a new role to handle debugging features, I will
> > > make a 002 patch to handle this.
> >
> > I see that there are a good number of user functions that are
> > accessible only by superuser (I searched for "if (!superuser())" in
> > the code base). I agree with the intention to not overload the
> > superuser anymore and have a few other special roles to delegate the
> > existing superuser-only functions to them. In that case, are we going
> > to revisit and reassign all the existing superuser-only functions?
>
> As Robert pointed out, this idea is based on Mark Dilger's proposal. Mark Dilger is already handling many of them at [1]. I'm proposing this patch only for server debugging functionalities based on Robert's suggestions at [2].
> [1] - https://commitfest.postgresql.org/33/3223/
> [2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZz%3DK1bQRp0Ug%3D6uMGFWg-6kaxdHe6VSWaxq0U-YkppYQ%40mail.gmail.com

The previous patch was failing because of the recent test changes made
by commit 201a76183e2 which unified new and get_new_node, attached
patch has the changes to handle the changes accordingly.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-Print-backtrace-of-specified-postgres-process.patch application/x-patch 16.7 KB