Re: Include the dependent extension information in describe command.

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Include the dependent extension information in describe command.
Date: 2022-08-15 16:39:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 10:24 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 11:07 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > Currently we do not include the dependent extension information for
> > > index and materialized view in the describe command. I felt it would
> > > be useful to include this information as part of the describe command
> > > like:
> > > \d+ idx_depends
> > > Index "public.idx_depends"
> > > Column | Type | Key? | Definition | Storage | Stats target
> > > --------+---------+------+------------+---------+--------------
> > > a | integer | yes | a | plain |
> > > btree, for table "public.tbl_idx_depends"
> > > Depends:
> > > "plpgsql"
> >
> > > Attached a patch for the same. Thoughts?
> >
> > This seems pretty much useless noise to me. Can you point to
> > any previous requests for such a feature? If we did do it,
> > why would we do it in such a narrow fashion (ie, only dependencies
> > of two specific kinds of objects on one other specific kind of
> > object)? Why did you do it in this direction rather than
> > the other one, ie show dependencies when examining the extension?
>
> While implementing logical replication of "index which depends on
> extension", I found that this information was not available in any of
> the \d describe commands. I felt having this information in the \d
> describe command will be useful in validating the "depends on
> extension" easily. Now that you pointed out, I agree that it will be
> better to show the dependencies from the extension instead of handling
> it in multiple places. I will change it to handle it from extension
> and post an updated version soon for this.

I have updated the patch to display "Objects depending on extension"
as describe extension footer. The changes for the same are available
in the v2 version patch attached. Thoughts?

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Include-the-objects-depending-on-extension-in-des.patch text/x-patch 11.2 KB