Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Date: 2022-03-07 05:44:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 4:12 PM kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Vignesh,
>
> > In logical replication, currently Walsender sends the data that is
> > generated locally and the data that are replicated from other
> > instances. This results in infinite recursion in circular logical
> > replication setup.
>
> Thank you for good explanation. I understand that this fix can be used
> for a bidirectional replication.
>
> > Here there are two problems for the user: a) incremental
> > synchronization of table sending both local data and replicated data
> > by walsender b) Table synchronization of table using copy command
> > sending both local data and replicated data
>
> So you wanted to solve these two problem and currently focused on
> the first one, right? We can check one by one.
>
> > For the first problem "Incremental synchronization of table by
> > Walsender" can be solved by:
> > Currently the locally generated data does not have replication origin
> > associated and the data that has originated from another instance will
> > have a replication origin associated. We could use this information to
> > differentiate locally generated data and replicated data and send only
> > the locally generated data. This "only_local" could be provided as an
> > option while subscription is created:
> > ex: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION sub1 CONNECTION 'dbname =postgres port=5433'
> > PUBLICATION pub1 with (only_local = on);
>
> Sounds good, but I cannot distinguish whether the assumption will keep.
>
> I played with your patch, but it could not be applied to current master.
> I tested from bd74c40 and I confirmed infinite loop was not appeared.
>
> local_only could not be set from ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command.
> Is it expected?

I felt changing only_local option might be useful for the user while
modifying the subscription like setting it with a different set of
publications. Changes for this are included in the v2 patch attached
at [1].
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm0WSo5369pr2eN1obTGBeiJU9cQdF6Ju1sC4hMQNy5BfQ%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Vignesh