Re: Parallel copy

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alastair Turner <minion(at)decodable(dot)me>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel copy
Date: 2020-10-14 13:20:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > I'll study this in detail and let you know my opinion on the same but
> > > in the meantime, I don't follow one part of this comment: "If they
> > > don't follow this order the worker might process wrong line_size and
> > > leader might populate the information which worker has not yet
> > > processed or in the process of processing."
> > >
> > > Do you want to say that leader might overwrite some information which
> > > worker hasn't read yet? If so, it is not clear from the comment.
> > > Another minor point about this comment:
> > >

> > Here leader and worker must follow these steps to avoid any corruption
> > or hang issue. Changed it to:
> > * The leader & worker process access the shared line information by following
> > * the below steps to avoid any data corruption or hang:
> >

> Actually, I wanted more on the lines why such corruption or hang can
> happen? It might help reviewers to understand why you have followed
> such a sequence.

There are 3 variables which the leader & worker are working on:
line_size, line_state & data. Leader will update line_state & populate
data, update line_size & line_state. Workers will wait for line_state
to be updated, once the updated leader will read the data based on the
line_size. If the worker is not synchronized wrong line_size will be
set & read wrong amount of data, anything can happen.There are 3
variables which leader & worker are working on: line_size, line_state
& data. Leader will update line_state & populate data, update
line_size & line_state. Workers will wait for line_state to be
updated, once the updated leader will read the data based on the
line_size. If the worker is not synchronized wrong line_size will be
set & read wrong amount of data, anything can happen. This is the
usual concurrency case with reader/writers. I felt that much details
need not be mentioned.

> [...]
> > > collected from workers which neither you have done nor is possible
> > > with the current code in your patch because you haven't made any
> > > provision to capture them in BeginParallelCopy.
> > >
> > > I suggest you look into lazy_parallel_vacuum_indexes() and
> > > begin_parallel_vacuum() to understand how the buffer/wal usage stats
> > > are accumulated. Also, please test this functionality using
> > > pg_stat_statements.
> > >

> > Made changes accordingly.
> > I have verified it using:
> > postgres=# select * from pg_stat_statements where query like '%copy%';
> > userid | dbid | queryid |
> > query
> > | plans | total_plan_time |
> > min_plan_time | max_plan_time | mean_plan_time | stddev_plan_time |
> > calls | total_exec_time | min_exec_time | max_exec_time |
> > mean_exec_time | stddev_exec_time | rows | shared_blks_hi
> > t | shared_blks_read | shared_blks_dirtied | shared_blks_written |
> > local_blks_hit | local_blks_read | local_blks_dirtied |
> > local_blks_written | temp_blks_read | temp_blks_written | blk_
> > read_time | blk_write_time | wal_records | wal_fpi | wal_bytes
> > --------+-------+----------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------+-----------------+-
> > --------------+---------------+----------------+------------------+-------+-----------------+---------------+---------------+----------------+------------------+--------+---------------
> > --+------------------+---------------------+---------------------+----------------+-----------------+--------------------+--------------------+----------------+-------------------+-----
> > ----------+----------------+-------------+---------+-----------
> > 10 | 13743 | -6947756673093447609 | copy hw from
> > '/home/vignesh/postgres/postgres/inst/bin/hw_175000.csv' with(format
> > csv, delimiter ',') | 0 | 0 |
> > 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
> > 1 | 265.195105 | 265.195105 | 265.195105 | 265.195105
> > | 0 | 175000 | 191
> > 6 | 0 | 946 | 946 |
> > 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
> > | 0 | 0 |
> > 0 | 0 | 1116 | 0 | 3587203
> > 10 | 13743 | 8570215596364326047 | copy hw from
> > '/home/vignesh/postgres/postgres/inst/bin/hw_175000.csv' with(format
> > csv, delimiter ',', parallel '2') | 0 | 0 |
> > 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
> > 1 | 35668.402482 | 35668.402482 | 35668.402482 | 35668.402482
> > | 0 | 175000 | 310
> > 1 | 36 | 952 | 919 |
> > 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
> > | 0 | 0 |
> > 0 | 0 | 1119 | 6 | 3624405
> > (2 rows)
> >

> I am not able to properly parse the data but If understand the wal
> data for non-parallel (1116 | 0 | 3587203) and parallel (1119
> | 6 | 3624405) case doesn't seem to be the same. Is that
> right? If so, why? Please ensure that no checkpoint happens for both

I have disabled checkpoint, the results with the checkpoint disabled
are given below:
| wal_records | wal_fpi | wal_bytes
Sequential Copy | 1116 | 0 | 3587669
Parallel Copy(1 worker) | 1116 | 0 | 3587669
Parallel Copy(4 worker) | 1121 | 0 | 3587668
I noticed that for 1 worker wal_records & wal_bytes are same as
sequential copy, but with different worker count I had noticed that
there is difference in wal_records & wal_bytes, I think the difference
should be ok because with more than 1 worker the order of records
processed will be different based on which worker picks which records
to process from input file. In the case of sequential copy/1 worker
the order in which the records will be processed is always in the same
order hence wal_bytes are the same.

Regards,
Vignesh