Re: Precision loss casting float to numeric

From: Bear Giles <bgiles(at)coyotesong(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Precision loss casting float to numeric
Date: 2018-02-26 20:40:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
> > The 0002-*.patch is a proof-of-concept patching float4_numeric and
> > float8_numeric in the trivial way (just using FLT_DECIMAL_DIG and
> > DBL_DECIMAL_DIG in place of FLT_DIG and DBL_DIG). It makes the new
> > regression test pass. (It will only work under a compiler that has
> > __FLT_DECIMAL_DIG__ and __DBL_DECIMAL_DIG__ available, and I used
> > those internal versions to avoid mucking with build tooling to change
> > the target C standard, which I assume wouldn't be welcome anyway.
>
> Nope. TBH, I'd think about just using "DBL_DIG + 3", given our existing
> coding around extra_float_digits in places like pg_dump and postgres_fdw.
> The knowledge that you need 2 or 3 extra digits is already well embedded.
>
> Conceivably you could do it like
>
> #ifndef DBL_DECIMAL_DIG
> #ifdef __DBL_DECIMAL_DIG__
> #define DBL_DECIMAL_DIG __DBL_DECIMAL_DIG__
> #else
> #define DBL_DECIMAL_DIG (DBL_DIG + 3)
> #endif
> #endif
>
> but I'm not exactly seeing how that buys us anything.
>
> The bigger question here is whether people actually want this behavioral
> change. I think there's probably a bigger chance of complaints that
> "casting 1.1::float8 to numeric now produces some weird,
> incorrectly-rounded result" than that we make anyone happier.
>
> I have a vague idea that at some point in the past we discussed making
> this conversion use extra_float_digits, which'd allow satisfying both
> camps, at the nontrivial price that the conversion would have to be
> considered stable not immutable. We didn't pull the trigger, if this
> memory is real at all, presumably because of the mutability issue.
>
> Another idea would be to leave the cast alone and introduce a named
> function that does the "exact" conversion. Possibly that makes nobody
> happy, but at least both the cast and the function could be immutable.
> It'd dodge backwards-compatibility objections, too.
>
> regards, tom lane

​Working for a company that ​
has enterprise customers this can't be overemphasized.
Never require the user to do something so they keep getting the same
results.​

​ It doesn't
matter if it's "wrong".

​I would vote for a property. If you want the best effort to match the IEEE
spec
you need to execute 'set use_ieee_numbers' and you'll get the extra digits
and
rounding behavior. If not ​you'll get the existing behavior.

Bear