Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table

From: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
Date: 2019-10-28 12:48:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:45 PM Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> > I don't understand what you mean by this.
> >

> > The primary purpose of adding row end time to primary key is to allow
> > duplicate value to be inserted into a table with keeping constraint in
> > current data but it can be duplicated in history data. Adding row
> > start time column to primary key will eliminate this uniqueness for
> > current data which is not correct
>

> How? The primary/unique keys must always be unique at every point in time.

From user prospect it is acceptable to delete and reinsert a record with
the same key value multiple time which means there will be multiple record
with the same key value in a history data but there is only one values in
current data as a table without system versioning do .I add row end time
column to primary key to allow user supplied primary key values to be
duplicated in history data which is acceptable

regards
Surafel